Monday, February 25, 2008

C'mon, Let's Compost!

I am going to start a compost pile. I've never had one before, but there are just too many good reasons not to put it off.

First, I have tons of leaves, raked into piles at the very back of my lot. I will continue to pile yard waste back there, since I really don't have any other means of disposing of it.

Second, compost makes great mulch. It has a beautiful, deep dark color, prevents weeds, and will supply your plants with all the nutrients they need all summer long. And it's FREE!

Third, and most important, adding compost is one of the best things you can do for your soil. Soil that has been "improved" with chemicals year after year is barren and depleted. Adding compost will restore the nutrients, texture, and living micro-organisms that make up rich, healthy soil. I've only lived in this house for a few months, but the soil looks pretty barren to me. And from the bags of lawn care "stuff" he left in the garage, I don't think an organic gardener lived here! :)

Fourth, I'll cut down on trash, and landfill usage by recycling my kitchen scraps, unbleached paper towels, even newspapers into wonderful, fertile compost.

I hope you will consider starting your own compost heap. If you already have one, share with me. What have you done that really works?

This is the bin I purchased to get started.

I bought it at www.Yardlover.com.

No comments: