Saturday, February 16, 2008

I spent Saturday evening in my backyard, sitting by the fire pit with a drink and a friend. It was a beautiful evening, in the 40's with a clear sky. It was quiet, and dark except for the crackling flames and the night sky, and there was just no more perfect place to spend a Saturday evening.

Which got me to thinking about why I garden. I'm not inteested in the biggest tomatoes, or the prize winning Zinnias. I don't can and freeze a winter's worth of veggies. I don't have exotic landscapes, or all the latest and greatest varieties. I enjoy the gardens of people who do those things, but they don't motivate me. Those things feel like work to me, and I already have enough work to do!
For me, gardening is all about feeling good. I want a place outdoors where people feel happy and relaxed. I want it to be a place to have fun. I want to wander around, seeing what's changed, what's growing, what smells good, what's ready to pick.

That makes me happy!

No comments: