Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Look What I Found!

Look What I Found!


All along my front walk, hopeful daffodils are poking up through the mulch, as though asking, "Is it time yet?"

Here in Virginia today, we are having snow flurries, with snow, sleet, rain and all the other forms of precipitation predicted for the next 48 hours.

BUT- dawn is coming earlier each day, and the sun is still above the mountains when I leave work, and now, the daffodils poking through. So I know spring MUST be on the way!

I don't worry too much when spring bulbs come up earlier than I think they should. As long as they have a good thick bed of mulch, they are usually just fine. They grow a little when a warm day encourages them, but unless there is an extended period of warmth, they probably won't get tall enough to be damaged by a cold snap. Sometimes I'll cover them with a thick layer of leaves, but if they are short like the ones in this picture, they usually survive just fine.

No comments: